Friday, December 04, 2009

Best Book of 2009

I cringe to write this post. I have thought seriously of just skipping it and hoping no one notices.

I don't know if you know this about me, but I read for a living. Reading words is how I pay my rent, put gas in my car, keep food in my belly, and clothes on my back. Unfortunately, it no longer pays for beautiful haircuts.

So I worry that people are going to expect some crazy amazing and profound book that I thought was the best book of 2009. Now, it's not for want of opportunity that I can't think of anything. I belong to book clubs, surround myself by English major or degree holding friends who are constantly recommending great books like The Life of Pi by Jan Martel, My Name is Asher Lev, by Chaim Potok, or A Mercy by Toni Morrison, all of which I have in my possession and am determined to read as soon as the thought of reading doesn't make me carsick.

Still, the book I thought of first was this. (Don't worry: it wasn't written by Stephenie Meyer, but I think it may have had at least one reference to a vampire.)

I don't deserve to know how to read.

5 comments:

Kate_TW said...

o.k. fine. But Why? Or are you just being sarcastic? (when/if you have time to answer...) I remember it was favorably reviewed someplace, but the reviewer basically said that Austen's story is so strong that you can throw in zombies and it doesn't mess it up...

David said...

First I am mortally offended that you would group Life of Pi which sucked, and My Name is Asher Lev in the SAME sentence. My eyes bled. Also, perversion of Jane Austen is wrong, AND I'm not a swooning woman.

jeff said...

That was certainly the best book concept of 2009, but the execution left much to be desired.

Megan said...

Kate: I really liked P&P&Z. It's true that I haven't seen a version of the original that I haven't liked, and I attribute it to the strength of her story.

I think also, since I'm an editor, I really love that a publisher took a chance on such a ludicrous idea and found success in doing it.

I, for one, can't think of any other pair of subjects that are more opposite than Austen and zombies, but Seth Grahame-Smith did a pretty excellent job of marrying the two.

David: Don't be offended. My sister recommended it to me, and I'm really enjoying it so far.

And, as a connoisseur of all things Austen and sometimes swooning woman, you're wrong.

MOM/SUSAN said...

Ah, some meat. And thoughtful comments. You're back.